A Message from Janet Garreau, ICP Executive Director
Dear ICP community,
As we all navigate the rapidly changing COVID-19 situation, I want to assure you the safety of ICP clients, volunteers and staff is our absolute first priority. Like you, we are closely monitoring all WHO, CDC and local health organization updates and taking precautionary health measures. With this in mind, ICP is implementing the following precautions and service changes immediately through at least March 31:
- We are providing older adults with medically related rides only at this time, such as to and from doctor appointments. All other rides will be cancelled, and we will be in contact to reschedule them. We are calling each client the day of their scheduled ride to ask how they are feeling, ask that they wash their hands before getting into their driver’s car, and reminding them to call their physician if they feel ill.
- We will shop and deliver groceries for anyone age 75 or older in our community—they do not need to be an ICP client. If you or someone you know could use this service, call our office at 708-354-9328. For those clients we typically take to the store, we will now deliver their groceries as we do not feel it is safe to take clients to the store at this time.
- We are calling our clients regularly to check on their health and well-being. We encourage the community to reach out to their older adult neighbors to offer help and support if possible, as this will be an especially challenging time for older adults who live alone.
- Any volunteer driver who is not comfortable driving a client is under no obligation. Simply call our office and we will find another driver.
- All volunteers are requested to wash hands regularly, sanitize their vehicles and hands while on the road, and stay home if they feel ill or have any reason to believe they have come in contact with someone who is ill or has COVID-19. We are prepared to reschedule rides with other drivers as needed—volunteers need simply to contact our office if they cannot provide services.
- ICP staff is being offered the option to work from home. For all staff in the office, we have precautions in place including regularly cleaning and sanitizing our office and workstations as well as reminders to wash hands well and often and to stay home if feeling ill.
Given the population we serve, we are asking all volunteers, staff and clients to please promptly inform us if you contract COVID-19, so we may further inform those you were in contact with for the sake of everyone’s safety.
We will continue to monitor this situation and make necessary adjustments as appropriate to ensure the health and safety of everyone. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 708-354-9328.
Thank you to our caring volunteer drivers for their service. And thank you to everyone in the community for doing all you can to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The older adults ICP serves are more vulnerable to complications from this virus and those of us less at risk can do them a great service by following hygiene and social distancing recommendations during this challenging time.
Janet Garreau, Executive Director
Interfaith Community Partners
For the latest information about the coronavirus, see the CDC’s website.